Pane in the glass: So a window has just become the victim of a solid object traveling at a fairly good speed, now what do you do? (If you have traditional windows in your house or garage, follow these steps. If you have thermal pane or other insulated glass, call a glass company to order a replacement unit.) Time to remove the glass from the frame, this is better done from the outside if possible because the glass goes in from this direction. Wearing gloves and eye protection use a pair of pliers to grab the shards, if the glass breaks under the galzing a chisel will work to remove both. After the area is free of glass and glazing measure the opening and give yourself 1/8" in both directions. Call your local glass company and have the glass cut, if the frame isn't completely sqaure a wood chisel can be used to "adjust" the opening to accomodate the new pane. Also, pick up a box of points from the glass company, thses are used to hold the glass in the frame. Apply new glazing and you're done.
The month of November has been good to me and very busy. It seems alot of people are really ready for roof work. In the last month I've had 4 roof jobs and I know there have been several more going on around town. Three of my roof jobs were replacements, but one was to fix what stupid people do when they decide on a weekend project. When you butt two different roofs together it is always a good idea to put some flashing between them. This is on a closed in porch where the main roof (house roof) met the roof of the porch, but they were not combined into one. These roofs just butted up against each other and a small drip edge was bent to cover the gap, really doesn't work very well. This had to have leaked from the very first rain after it was built. Water will find your mistakes and often make you pay for them. Water was leaking inside and ruined alot of insulation and the ceiling material. You know what happens when water and lumber combine, m-o-l-d. There was a lot of mold on the joists, another issue that had to be handled. In order to fix the leak, I added flashing between the roofs, papered under the house shingles over the flashing, and then added my roofing material in the same manner. Roof cement is also added as another barrier to water infiltration. Of coarse I finished the job by re-insulating and installing a new ceiling.
Oh yeah, still have two more roof estimates to do and already have roofs lined up for the spring.
Also, my commercial client has provided some good inside work and is giving me more opportunities for estimates which will more than likely turn into jobs.
All of this is a good theme to carry through the rest of the month and into December.
I completed a partial chimney rebuild last week. The house was built around 1900 and I wanted to keep the character of the house and chimney. The original chimney was covered in a soft membrane that was supposed to be waterproof. Turns out it wasn't and water collected in the bricks and mortar. After years of this abuse, the bricks were spalling and crumbling and the grout was like loose sand. I was able to salvage some old bricks and I had our local brick place (Richmond Builders Supply) hand pick new bricks that matched the old as close as possible, picked up a new precast crown, new rain cap, two new liner tiles, and had custom stainless steel drip edge made. All in all a good project and very thankful for the opportunity.
Craig Jones, owner of Property Serv LLC. My goal is to better educate the homeowner and to make Richmond a better place to live.