Tip of the Week
Caulking: Caulking can be a messy job that results in what looks like a 3 year old played arts and crafts with your house. Not to worry, here are a few tips to help you out. Around glass or a finished surface, use painters tape on either side of the joint being caulked. This will save you time on clean up and it's ok if the process gets a little messy, if caulk gets on the tape you can peel it right up. For the "professional" look, wet your finger and run it down the bead to smooth it out and remove the excess, this will also work if you want to use a putty knife. Just wet the knife and run it down the bead. Using a putty knife to tool the caulk or window glazing may take some practice. Part of the blade will need to follow a flat surace to keep things looking good, every movement made or bump the knife hits will show up in the caulk. Also be careful not to remove to much caulk or it will be ineffective. Follow the manufacturers recommendations for proper adhesion and sealing. Happy caulking.
I'm sensing a theme
The month of November has been good to me and very busy. It seems alot of people are really ready for roof work. In the last month I've had 4 roof jobs and I know there have been several more going on around town. Three of my roof jobs were replacements, but one was to fix what stupid people do when they decide on a weekend project. When you butt two different roofs together it is always a good idea to put some flashing between them. This is on a closed in porch where the main roof (house roof) met the roof of the porch, but they were not combined into one. These roofs just butted up against each other and a small drip edge was bent to cover the gap, really doesn't work very well. This had to have leaked from the very first rain after it was built. Water will find your mistakes and often make you pay for them. Water was leaking inside and ruined alot of insulation and the ceiling material. You know what happens when water and lumber combine, m-o-l-d. There was a lot of mold on the joists, another issue that had to be handled. In order to fix the leak, I added flashing between the roofs, papered under the house shingles over the flashing, and then added my roofing material in the same manner. Roof cement is also added as another barrier to water infiltration. Of coarse I finished the job by re-insulating and installing a new ceiling.
Oh yeah, still have two more roof estimates to do and already have roofs lined up for the spring.
Also, my commercial client has provided some good inside work and is giving me more opportunities for estimates which will more than likely turn into jobs.
All of this is a good theme to carry through the rest of the month and into December.
I completed a partial chimney rebuild last week. The house was built around 1900 and I wanted to keep the character of the house and chimney. The original chimney was covered in a soft membrane that was supposed to be waterproof. Turns out it wasn't and water collected in the bricks and mortar. After years of this abuse, the bricks were spalling and crumbling and the grout was like loose sand. I was able to salvage some old bricks and I had our local brick place (Richmond Builders Supply) hand pick new bricks that matched the old as close as possible, picked up a new precast crown, new rain cap, two new liner tiles, and had custom stainless steel drip edge made. All in all a good project and very thankful for the opportunity.
Craig Jones, owner of Property Serv LLC. My goal is to better educate the homeowner and to make Richmond a better place to live.